- Programs offered
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Faculty and Staff
- Annual Reports
- Career Opportunities
Dr. Shobhakar Dhakal
Position: Associate Professor, Energy Field of Study
Country of Origin: Nepal
Tel: +662 524 5403
Fax: +662 524 5439
Energy Field of Study
School of Environment, Resources and Development
Areas of Expertise (Keywords)
- Modeling and analyses of energy-emission, especially the GHG mitigation
- Policies and governance of climate change mitigation
- Cities and climate change, low carbon transport policies
- Global and regional carbon cycle
- Research-policy interfacing: syntheses and assessments for policy-applications and the research-policy dialogues
- Ph.D. Energy and Urban Heat Island Mitigation, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo
- M. Eng. Energy economics and planning, Asian
Institute of Technology, Thailand
- B. Engg. Electrical Engineering, National
Institute of Technology Surat, India.
- (Apr 2006 – July2012): Executive Director- Global Carbon
Project (www.globalcarbonproject.org), National Institute for Environmental
- (Apr 2001-Mar2006): Senior Policy Researcher and Project Manager, Urban Environmental
Management Project, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES, www.iges.or.jp), Japan
- (Apr 2003- Mar2004) Policy Researcher and Project
Manager, Urban Environmental Management Project, Institute for Global
- (Apr 2001 – Mar2003) Policy Researcher, Urban
Environmental Management Project, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies
- (Nov 2009 – Oct 2012), Guest Research Scholar, Transitions to New Technology Program,
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Schlossplatz 1,
A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria
- (Apr 2008- Mar2013), Visiting Associate Professor, Graduate School of Environmental Studies,
Nagoya University, Japan
- (Nov 2011 – Mar2013), Senior Fellow, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES),
Hayama, Kanagawa, Japan
- (Aug 2012 – March2013), Visiting Researcher, National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan
Present Research Involvements
- Low carbon cities and scenarios Urbanization, urban form and CO2 emissions
- Modeling of direct and embodied energy and carbon and analyses in cities
- Global syntheses and assessments such as IPCC, GEO5, and others
- Research-policy dialogue and interfacing
- The interaction of energy sector and climate change mitigation
- Cities and climate change mitigation/adaptation
- Energy and sustainable development
Journal Editorial Involvements
- http://www.future-science.com/page/journal/cmt/teaser.jsp 2010 ~ ongoing
- Associate Editor, Journal of Industrial Ecology (JIE), Yale University, 2011-12
- Member of Editorial Board, Urban Climate, Elsevier, 2012-2015
- Member, Board of Editorial Advisors, International Energy Journal, March 2009 ~ onwards
- Guest Co-editor, Special Issue on Sustainable Urban Systems, Journal of Industrial Ecology
- Guest Co-editor, Special Issue on Pathways toward Low-carbon Cities: a US–China Focus, Carbon
Management Journal (Volume 2, No 4, 2011). .
- Guest Co-editor, Special Issue on Carbon Emissions and Carbon Management in Cities, Energy
Policy Journal (Volume 38, Issue 9, 2010)
- Guest Co-editor, Special Issue on Environmental Implication of Urban Transportation in Asia,
International Journal of Pollution and Environment (Volume 30, No.1, 2007)
- Regular reviewer of over fifteen key journals in the field of energy, climate and sustainability
(selected examples: Nature Climate Change, Sustainable Science, Energy Policy,
Energy, Energy Economics, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Carbon Management,
Current Opinion on Environmental Sustainability, Urban Climate, Environment and
Professional memberships and credentials
- Coordinating Lead Author (CLA) of Chapter 12 “Human Settlements, Infrastructure and Spatial
Planning” of Working Group III’s contributions to the Fifth Assessment Report of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(IPCC), June~ 2015
- Member of the Steering Committee, Second assessment of cities and climate change, Urban Climate Change Research Network (UCCRN- www.uccrn.org), 2012 ~
- Principal Scientific Reviewer (PSR) of Global
Environmental Outlook 5 (GEO-5). United Nations Environmental Program
- Member, Consensus Panel on Low Carbon Cities, Academy of
Science of South Africa, 2009 ~ 2011.
- - http://www.uccrn.org/, 2008 ~ 2010 (available
- Core-member, City Policy Forum of Centre for Global Partnership
of Japan Foundation and Social Science Research Council (SSRC) USA on The
Environment and Climate Change (2009 ~ 2012).
- International Expert, Task force on Urban Development and Energy Efficiency, China Council for International Cooperation
on Environment and Development, 2008~2009.
- Expert Member, Cities International Energy Modeling Expert Group, International Energy Agency (2007~2008) and author and leader of China analyses for World Energy Outlook 2008’s chapter on cities
- Co- author of thecommissioned research by the World Bank on Greenhouse Gas Emission Baselines for Global Cities and Metropolitan Regions, 2009 June
- Support to Cities and Climate Change activities of the World Bank (2009/2011)- reviewer of several World Bank reports on the topic.
- Co-author of Police Brief (GCP-UNESCO-UNEP) on The Human Perturbation of the Carbon Cycle, November 2009
- Organized series of capacity building events and provided technical support to UNESCAP's Kitakyushu Initiative for Clean Environment (Asian inter-city environmental cooperation program for Asia and the Pacific, priority program endorsed by WSSD summit) for network building, best practices analyses, policy dialogues, and city twining for 2001-2004
Peer reviewed publications
- http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2012.03.059 .
- 4(1)147-158. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2011.12.003.
- Anu Ramaswami and Shobhakar Dhakal (2011). Low carbon policies in the USA and China: Why cities play a critical role. Carbon Management 2(4) 359-352.
- Houghton RA and Shobhakar Dhakal (2010). Welcome to Carbon Management. Carbon Management 1(1):1-3, Future Science Publishers.
- Sustainability 2(4)301-311, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2010.08.003,
- http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2010.06.010, Elsevier.
- Dhakal, Shobhakar (2010). GHG emissions from urbanization and opportunities for urban carbon mitigation. Current Opinion in Environmental
Sustainability 2(4): 277–283, Elsevier.
- Shobhakar Dhakal and Anil Raut. 2010. Potential and bottlenecks of the carbon market: Case of developing country, Nepal. Energy Policy, 38 (2010) 3781–3789.
- Dhakal, Shobhakar and Shrestha Ram M. (2010). Bridging the research gaps for carbon emissions and their management in cities. Energy Policy,
- Shobhakar Dhakal. 2009. Urban energy use and carbon emissions from cities in China and policy implications. Energy Policy, 37 (2009) 4208–4219.
- Li Li, Changhong Chen, Shichen Xie, Cheng Huang, Zhen Cheng, Hongli Wang, Haiying Huang, Jun Lu, Shobhakar Dhakal. 2009. Energy demand and carbon emissions under different development scenarios for Shanghai, China. Energy Policy 38(9)4797-4807, doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2009.08.048
- Kennedy, Christopher, Anu Ramaswami, Sebastian Carney and Shobhakar Dhakal. 2009. Greenhouse Gas Emission Baselines for Global Cities and Metropolitan Regions. World Bank Commissioned paper for the Urban Research Symposium on Cities and Climate Change, Marseille, 28-30 June 2009.
- Nigel Jollands, Paul Dowling, Shobhakar Dhakal, Leticia Guimaraes, Stephen Hammer, Stephen Henihan, Lily Parshall, Matthian Ruth, Niels Shulz,
Wayne Wescott. 2008. Chapter 8- Energy Use in Cities, World Energy Outlook 2008, Paris: International Energy Agency.
- Shobhakar Dhakal. 2008. Creating an Urban Movement for Sustainable Living. Global Asia- A Journal of East Asia Foundation 3(3):16-20.
- Shobhakar Dhakal and Michele Betsill. 2007. Challenges of Urban and Regional Carbon Management and the scientific response. Local Environment 12 (5): 549 – 555.
- Sudhakar Yedla and Shobhakar Dhakal. 2007. Transport and Environment in Developing countries, Journal of Environment and Pollution 30 (1) 1-7.
- Shobhakar Dhakal and Lee Schipper. 2005. Transport and Environment in Asian Cities: Reshaping the issues and opportunities into a holistic framework. International Review for Environmental Strategies 5 (2): 399-424.
- Shobhakar Dhakal. 2005. Strengthening urban environmental management in Asia, Sustainable Asia 2005 and Beyond – In pursuit of innovative policies, Hayama: Institute for Global Environmental Strategies.
- Shobhakar Dhakal. 2005. Energy consumption and GHG emission in Asian mega-cities. Urban Environmental Management Challenges in Asia, Hayama: Institute for Global Environmental Strategies.
- Shobhakar Dhakal, Keisuke Hanaki and Ai Hiramatsu. 2004. Heat discharges by an office building in Tokyo using DOE-2. Energy Conversion and Management 45 (7/8): 1107-1118.
- Shobhakar Dhakal, Keisuke Hanaki and Ai Hiramatsu. 2003. Estimation of Heat Discharges by Residential Buildings in Tokyo. Energy Conversion and Management 44 (9): 1487 – 1499.
- Shobhakar Dhakal. 2003. Implications of transportation policies on energy and environment in Kathmandu Valley, Nepal. Energy Policy 31(14): 1493-1507.
- Shobhakar Dhakal and Hidefumi Imura. 2003. Policy based indicator Systems: emerging debates and lessons, Local Environment 8(1):113-119.
- Dhakal, S.; S. Kaneko and H. Imura (2003). CO2 emissions from energy use in east-Asian mega-cities: driving factors and their contributions,
Environmental Systems Research, Volume 31, pp. 209-216. Japan Society of Civil Engineers.
- Shobhakar Dhakal and Keisuke Hanaki. 2002. Improvement of Urban Warming by Managing Heat Discharges and Surface Modifications in Tokyo. Energy and Buildings 34(1): 13-23
- Dhakal, S.; S. Kaneko and H. Imura (2002). An analysis on driving factors for CO2 emissions from energy use in Tokyo and Seoul by Factor Decomposition Method. Environmental Systems Research, Volume 30, pp 295-303. Japan Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE).
- Eric Zusman, Ancha Srinivasan, and Shobhakar Dhakal eds. 2011. Low Carbon Transport in Asia: Strategies for Optimizing Co-benefits, London and New York: Routleg.
- Liese Coulter, Pep Canadell and Shobhakar Dhakal. 2008. Carbon Reductions and Offsets, GCP Report No.6, Canberra: Global Carbon Project.
- Shobhakar Dhakal 2004. Urban Energy Use and Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Asian Mega-cities: Policies for a Sustainable Future, Hayama: Institute for Global Environmental strategies.
- Shobhakar Dhakal. 2006. Urban Transportation and the Environment in Kathmandu Valley, Nepal: Integrating Global Carbon Concerns into Local Air Pollution Management. Hayama: Institute for Global Environmental Strategies.
- Eric Zusman, Ancha Srinivasan, and Shobhakar Dhakal (2011). Low Carbon Transport and co-benefits in Asia: An Overview. In Low Carbon Transport in Asia: Strategies for Optimizing Co-benefits (Ed. Eric Zusman, Ancha Srinivasan, and Shobhakar Dhakal). London and New York: Routleg. pp 3-18.
- Eric Zusman, Ancha Srinivasan, and Shobhakar Dhakal (2011). Low Carbon Transport and co-benefits in Asia: the way forward. In Low Carbon Transport in Asia: Strategies for Optimizing Co-benefits (Ed. Eric Zusman, Ancha Srinivasan, and Shobhakar Dhakal). London and New York: Routleg. pp 244-259.
- Grubler, A., X. Bai, T. Buettner, S. Dhakal, D.J. Fisk, T. Ichinose, J. Keirstead, G. Sammer, D. Satterthwaite, N.B. Schulz, N. Shah, J. Steinberger
and H. Weisz. 2011: Urban Energy Systems. In Global Energy Assessment: Toward a Sustainable Future. L. Gomez-Echeverri, T.B. Johansson, N. Nakicenovic, A. Patwardhan, (eds.), IIASA, Laxenburg, Austria and Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
- Kennedy, Christopher, Anu Ramaswami, Sebastian Carney and Shobhakar Dhakal. 2011. Greenhouse Gas Emission Baselines for Global Cities and Metropolitan Regions, Cities and Climate Change: Responding to an Urgent Agenda, Daniel Hoornweg, Mila Freire, Marcus J. Lee, Perinaz Bhada-Tata, and Belinda Yuen, Eds., The World Bank, Washington DC, USA, 15-54.
- Hammer, S. A., J. Keirstead, S. Dhakal, J. Mitchell, M. Colley, R. Connell, R. Gonzalez, M. Herve-Mignucci, L. Parshall, N. Schulz, M. Hyams, (2011): Climate change and urban energy systems. Climate Change and Cities: First Assessment Report of the Urban Climate Change Research Network, C. Rosenzweig, W. D. Solecki, S. A. Hammer, S. Mehrotra, Eds., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 83–109.
- Dhakal, Shobhakar (2010). Urban energy transitions in Chinese cities. In Cities and Low Carbon Transition (ed. Harriet Bulkeley, Vanesa Castán Broto, Mike Hodson and Simon Marvin), London: Routledge.
- Joyashree Roy, Chhonda Bose, Ranjan Bose, Sarmistha Das, Shobhakar Dhakal, Mitali Dasgupta, Rucha Ghate, Saikat Sinha Roy, Manaswita Konar, Anoja Wickramasinghe, Moumita Roy and Chetana Chaudhuri (2010). Development Pathways. In Global Environmental Changes in South Asia: A Regional Perspective (ed A.P Mitra and C. Sharma). Capital Publishing Company, New Delhi Kolkata. International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED)
- Canadell Pep, Philippe Cias, Shobhakar Dhakal, Corinne LeQuere, Anand Patwardhan and Mike Raupach, The Human Perturbation of the Carbon Cycle, Policy Brief, UNESCO-SCOPE-UNEP, November 2009- No.10.
- Shobhakar Dhakal. 2008. Climate Change and Cities: The Making of a Climate Friendly Future, Urban Energy Transition (ed. Peter Droege), Oxford: Elsevier.
- Shobhakar Dhakal. 2005. De-coupling of Urban Mobility Need from Environmental Degradation in Singapore. Urban Infrastructure - An Introduction
(ed Y. Chandra Sekhar), Hyderabad: ICFAI University Press, pp 198-226.
- Shobhakar Dhakal. 2003. The Urban Heat Environment and Urban Sustainability. Future Cities: Dynamics and Sustainability (Ed. Fred
Moavenzadeh, Keisuke Hanaki and Peter Baccini), pp 149-172, Kluwer.
- Dhakal, Shobhakar (2002). Reviews of Existing Indicator Systems and their relevance to cities for Kitakyushu Initiative (2001/2002). Report prepared for Ministry of Environment (MOE) Japan on behalf of Kitakyushu Initiative for a Clean Environment, June 2002 (as Principal Investigator).
- Scoping Report on Urbanisation and Global Environmental Change, International Human Dimensions Program (IHDP), Bonn, February 2003, Germany (Edited by Roberto Sanchez).
- Dhakal, Shobhakar; G. Norman (2003). Transitions in Urban Energy and Environment: Perspectives from the South-Asia. Proceedings of South Asian Regional Conference on Transition towards Sustainable Development. The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), 2003 Delhi.
- Contributions to Environmental Governance for Sustainable Development in Asia and the Pacific, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, United Nations Development Programme (ed.), New York, United Nations, 2002. (Input provided to report regarding the Kitakyushu Initiative, in particular to Section V. “Environmental governance: spatial issues”, pp.101-111).
- Dhakal, S. and S. Kaneko (2002). Urban Energy Use in Asian Mega-Cities: Is Tokyo a desirable model? Proceedings of IGES/APN Mega-City Workshop on Policy Integration of Energy Related Issues in Asian Cities, 23-23 January, 2002, Riga Royal Hotel, Kitakyushu, Japan, pp 173-181
Magazines and opinions
- Shobhakar Dhakal, Ruben Zondervan and Jose Antonio Puppim de Oliveira (2011). Carbon governance in Asia: bridging scales and disciplines. Our World 2.0 The United Nations University. Available at: http://ourworld.unu.edu/en/carbon-governance-in-asia-bridging-scales-and-disciplines/
- Dhakal, Shobhakar (2009). Tackling China’s Urban Carbon Emissions, Global Change, Issue 74: 20-23, Winter 2009. International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme, Stockholm.
- Towards a Low-Carbon Society and its Relevance to Mountainous Regions (with Anil Raut), Asia Pacific Mountain Network Bulletin, Volume 9 , Number 1, Summer 2008, International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Kathmandu.
- Comment inflechir les emissions de CO2 dans quatre megalopolis d’Asie, LaRevueDurable, Dossier Vivre Ensemble En Megalopole, Numero 14, Fevrier-Mars 2005, Bimestriel, France (In French)
- Comparing East Asian Mega-cities, German-Chinese Business Forum, 2003 November Issue, Published by German-China Business Delegation, Shanghai.
- Advancing sustainability in Asian cities: Reducing greenhouse gas emissions, Cover story on Asia ecoBest, Volume 6, November 2002, pp 6-8,
- Sustainability of Asia’s mega-cities: Policies for energy demand and greenhouse gas mitigation. UPDATE - Newsletter of International Human Dimension Program for Global Change (IHDP), Bonn, Germany, September 2002 issue, pp. 8-10.
- Delivered key-note speeches, talks, lectures and presentations internationally (on average, 20 each year in last four years); travelled over 40 countries worldwide; selected recent examples,
- Plenary talk to over 3,000 participants at Planet Under Pressure Conference (http://www.planetunderpressure2012.net/), 26-29 March 2012 London, titled “Creating Sustainable Cities”.
- Panel member, Open Debate “Can we re-engineer cities to be forces for environmental good?” Herschel Building, Newcastle University, 14th September 2011, 17:00 - 19:00. Newcastle, UK.
- Panel member of the High Level Panel Discussions “Overcoming Barriers Towards an Inclusive and Sustainable Urban Future”, Fifth Asia Pacific Urban Forum (22nd June 2011, Bangkok) alongside ministers from selected Asian countries- moderated by a former Under Secretary General of UN, United Nations Conference Center, Bangkok.
Research Networking and Research-policy Dialogues
- Organized over 15 events in 2007-2012, see details at www.gcp-urcm.org)
- International Workshop on Water-Energy-Carbon Nexus in Cities: Drivers, footprints, and implications, 1-2 March 2012, Hotel Garden Palace, Tokyo.
- International Workshop on Urban Energy and Carbon Modeling in Rapidly Urbanizing World, International Institute for Applied Systems Analyses, 10-11 March 2011, Laxenberg Austria.
- Session on Urban Metabolism, International Society of Industrial Ecology, ISIE/ConAccount and ISIE/Asia-Pacific Conferenve, 7-9 November 2010, Tokyo.
- Capacity building workshop on Carbon Governance in Asia- Bridging Scales and Disciplines on 1-3 November 2010 at United Nations University Institute for Advanced Studies, Yokohama (supported by Asia Pacific Network- APN)
- Brainstorming meeting on Emerging Research Questions in Urban Carbon Management on 17th November 2009 at Imperial Hotel, Tokyo
- International Symposium on Cities and Carbon Management: Towards Enhancing Science-Policy Linkages on 16 November 2009 at Tokyo International Forum, Tokyo (with Integrated Research System for Sustainability Science of the The University of Tokyo)
- International Symposium on Realizing Low Carbon Cities: Bridging science and policy, February 16th, 2009, Nagoya (with Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Nagoya University), Japan
- International Workshop Towards Low Carbon Cities: Understanding and analyzing urban energy and carbon, February 17th-18th, 2009, Nagoya (with Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Nagoya University), Japan
- International Symposium on Urban Energy and Carbon Management: Challenges for Science and Policy, 4th February 2008, Asian Institute of Technology, Pathumthani, Thailand.
- International Workshop on Urban Energy and Carbon Modeling, February 5-6 2008, Asian Institute of Technology, Pathumthani, Thailand.